Friday 2 September 2016

Negotiation, A Success Or Failed?

I'm not sure whether the negotiation was done right, and whether or not the result is correct or otherwise. I'll "show" ya in the stories below and you be the judge of it.

Disclaimer: Below is not the exact context of the conversion, but just an extract and simplification of the actual scenario. This author is not responsible for any conclusion which the audience interpret from the context.

Scenario #1: "Negotiation" for extension of task duration

A: I need these (documents) to be signed off within 2 weeks.
Me: 2 weeks?! But this looks like a 4 weeks work! Cannot extend the timeline?
A: I know it's tight, but you need to plan it out and then send out portion by portion for reviewing and to be signed off
Me: Huh? So, rush!
A: OK, like this, you do this set first within the 2 weeks, and then you do and send the other set, in the following week OK?
Me: Err, OK?
A: OK!

So, did I manage to get a time extension? Or did I just managed to get "extra" work?
Note: I thought I only needed to do the first set, and the second set at a much later time.


Scenario #2: "Negotiation" for delegation of work

B: Eh, saw from your email that you needed these (pictures/images) from my guy?
Me: Yup, as mentioned in the email, I require them to send some samples over to my clients.
B: It looks like a lot of work needed for my guy. FYI, my guy currently is tied up with several projects to come out with the designs too. Do you really need them ah?
Me: *whut?* Ya, I need them. Actually, my team needs them because we don't have the expertise to come out with it. I understand your guy is busy, that's why I outlined the direction and hopefully it can be done by next week.
B: Cannot la, to do this from that, requires a lot of time, and we simply don't have that time.
Me: Err, OK. How about your guy work on 2-3 images instead of the whole set? The most important part is this Image1, Image2 and Image3. I'll try and work something out, but I'll need to have the raw files to work out the rest from there.
B: So, don't need the whole set, but just 2-3 right? And the rest you do your magic, ya?
Me: I guess and hope so. But I need them in order to do something.
B: We'll try and see first if can deliver that by next week to you.

So, did I manage to get someone to help me to do the work? Or did I just managed to get "extra" work onto my own hands?
Note: I thought I only had to inform the person to help me, as instructed.


I'm confused. Did I do well in the negotiation?


No comments:

Post a Comment